When you want to give your skin some TLC, but can't bring yourself to leave the vicinity of your humble abode, try these homemade mask recipes for glowing skin. With these solutions, you can experience the calming effects of a spa treatment in the comfort of your home.
Many of your common food staples have potent natural anti-aging, brightening and moisturising properties. With really no odd chemicals, or high price tags, you can make your own DIY skin magic. Here are eight easy, effective beauty recipes using things you probably already have in the kitchen. Love them, embrace them, and feel free to use them as the foundation for creating your own natural beauty concoctions.
1. The Turmeric Glow
With this two-part anti-inflammatory and brightening honey and turmeric mask, less is more. You can even use good-quality, local raw organic honey just to cleanse your skin. The more natural, the better.
- Mix one teaspoon of turmeric and one tablespoon of raw organic honey to make a smooth orange blend.
- Apply the mask mixture to your clean, dry face and leave for 15-20 minutes.
- Rinse with lukewarm water then seal in the goodness with your go-to moisturiser.
2. Papaya Pigmentation Mask
This mask is extremely effective as a daily ritual for most skin types. The vitamin E rich almond oil acts as a wonderful antioxidant along with the vitamin A rich papain in the papaya. It especially helps with hyperpigmentation, sun spots and uneven skin tones. If you consistently use this everyday, you will notice a remarkable difference in a few weeks.
- Blend together two tablespoons of mashed papaya with a few drops of pure vitamin E rich almond oil.
- Gently apply the paste over your face rubbing in a circular motion and leave it on for 15-20 minutes
- Rinse it off and tone with a rose toner.
3. The Banana Orange Brightening Glow
This tropical face mask will make your skin glow with a healthy, natural-looking radiance, and it's gentle enough to use on all skin types.
- Mash half a banana in a bowl and mix in a tablespoon of orange juice and a tablespoon of raw organic honey.
- Apply the mask to your face (don’t worry about the lumps, they are totally fine!) and keep the mixture on for 15 minutes.
- Rinse with lukewarm water and moisturise.
4. Brightening Blueberry Face Mask
Use this calming berry mask to detoxify your skin. Blueberries include antioxidants that protect against free radicals and heal damage done by environmental pollutants whilst lemons provide vitamin C that brightens the skin.
- Combine one tablespoon crushed ripe blueberries, half a teaspoon lemon juice and one tablespoon cucumber juice.
- Mix together and gently spread onto your face.
- Let this sit for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Gently rinse with warm water.
5. The Honey Citrus Magic
With its honey and orange base, this mask is the ideal quick remedy for dull skin that craves to be bright and beautiful.
- Combine three tablespoons of orange juice with one tablespoon of raw organic honey.
- Rub the mixture lightly over your face and then leave it on for 15 minutes.
- Rinse with lukewarm water and, as always, follow with a moisturiser.
6. Avocado & Rice Mask
When skin ages or is exposed to sunlight, dark patches or sun spots begin to make an appearance. In Japanese culture rice is known to be the secret of their glassy skin. Rice water is rich in amino acids, antioxidants and minerals which can reduce the skin ageing process. It could also inhibit the activity of elastase, an enzyme responsible for skin ageing while the avocado helps to keep skin supple by acting as a natural moisturiser.
- Mash a medium size avocado with a fork in a small bowl. Sprinkle in rice flour, combining until you make a paste. Stir in apple juice.
- Apply it to your skin and wait for 20 minutes.
- Wash with lukewarm water and pat your skin dry.
- Follow with sunscreen (even if you are not stepping out!).
7. Papaya and Tomato Enzyme Mask
This papaya face pack for skin- lightening and anti-tanning can be made easily with just two simple ingredients: 4 small pieces of ripe papaya (mashed) and the pulp of one tomato. Apply this mixture to your neck and face area and rinse once dry. Repeat twice a week for great results. When it comes to getting rid of dead skin cells, papaya includes potent fruit enzymes and tomato can naturally eradicate blemishes and acne scars.
- Take two tablespoons papaya and one half tomato in a blender and purée it.
- Apply the mask to a clean face and leave this on for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Wash off and pat dry gently with a cloth. And as always, moisturise.
8. Agar Agar & Charcoal Peel Off Mask
In this mask the agar agar helps to soften the skin while also keeping it moisturised and nourished. It acts as a binding agent, keeping all of the constituents of a mixture together. Activated charcoal is well-known as a dirt magnet. It draws out impurities from the skin, clears acne and blackheads, lightens blemishes and reduces oiliness.
- Take one teaspoon agar agar powder and a pinch of activated charcoal
- Boil half a cup of water in a pan. Transfer it to a glass bowl and mix the agar agar powder.
- Add the activated charcoal to it and mix well.
- Let it cool down. Apply all over your face, avoiding the delicate area around your eyes and let it dry.
- Peel the mask off. Follow this up with a light moisturiser.
Disclaimer: We recommend performing a patch test prior to application of any of the above home remedies just to be safe.